Saturday, January 12, 2013

Travel Journal 2    




Pueblo Antiguo was an interesting experience indeed. We participated in Costa Rican dance as it progressed through history and this allowed us to feel and experience the culture through physical movement. The first thing we did was reunite with the other group from UD to socialize over a unique, red, alcoholic beverage. Then, we went to the auditorium where the dancers demostrated the culture of Spanish dance as it progressed through history. There were forms of dance such as the merengue, the tango, the salsa, and the flamenco, all of which demonstrated a unique and lively side to Costa Rican culture. It was especially fun getting a chance to learn these dances briefly over a wonderful traditional dinner. The dinner included rice, beans, meat, and vegetables, all of which were served at a lovely buffet. The dancers were particularly funny during the performance when they interacted with the audience and had them come on stage to demonstrate the very ``gringo`` version of Costa Rican dance. I especially liked the dancers dressed in giant, funny looking Costa Rican male and female costumes. I also enjoyed thoroughly being their with the other UD group. One thing that surprised me was the difficulty with which it was to perform the Costa Rican dance. I found myself, shamefully enough, struggling to perform some steps while I watched others master them on the dance floor. I was also surprised by how good all of the Costa Rican dancers were at what they did. This excursion impacted me by showing me a festive, traditional, and creative side to Costa Rican life while taking me through the experiences of Costa Rican history and culture. Pueblo Antiguo was especially important for this reason and through truly immersing us through a historical Costa Rican town with all the homes, office buildings, and ``edificios`` based around the church. Through the full immersion of an oldern Costa Rican town and through its introduction of Costa Rican culture amongst tradition and dance, Pueblo Antiguo proved to be an integral part of my Costa Rican trip.






No comments:

Post a Comment